8/06/2006

9/11 Comics

I just added the graphic novel treatment of the 9/11 Commission Report to my Amazon wish list. I've read the actual Report cover to cover, so buying Sid Jacobson and Ernie Colon's graphic version isn't cheating.

Jacobson is former editor in chief for Harvey Comics, and the creator of Richie Rich. Colon is a comic artist who worked on the Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, Spider-Man, and the Flash, among others, for Harvey, Marvel, and DC Comics. Their book is titled "The 9/11 Report: A Graphic Adaptation."

In her article about the book in the Washington Post last month, Bravetta Hassell posed this question:

"Can a topic as massive and sobering as Sept. 11 be dealt with effectively in the pages of a comic book?"

I'm raising my hand, because I already know the answer: YES.

In early 2002, I bought these two graphic novels at Acme Comics in Greensboro. I read them straight through later that day, and have opened them back up countless times in the nearly 5 years since Sept. 11, 2001. They're an incredible time capsule of emotion and uncertainty, the mood of America in the early aftermath of 9/11.

Even cooler, then-Greensboro resident and artist Rob Ullman contributed to "9/11 Emergency Relief." Rob is a former co-worker of mine - a talented artist, huge hockey fan and all-around extremely nice guy. He now lives in Richmond. You can find his stuff here.

The proceeds from these comics went to the Red Cross and to families of the victims of September 11th. I still need to buy Volume 2. (Volume 1 is here.)

I have high expectations and high hopes for Jacobson and Colon's graphic version of the 9/11 Commission Report. Here are some pages from the 2002 books, which help explain why.











No comments: