1/06/2005

Now that's great coffee

Here's a blog about all things Dunkin' Donuts. Here you can find head-to-heads with Starbucks in espresso brew times and prices; learn how to start a franchise, how to pair flavored coffees with holiday foods; and enter a contest to have your wedding at Dunkin' Donuts.

Or, you can just go here before January 14th and vote for which couple you think deserves a Dunkin' Donuts wedding.

It's blasphemy, I know, but I just don't like Krispy Kreme. One of their donuts can have a pleasing, slimy sweetness, but two is puke-inducing for the next four hours. Dunkin' Donuts' cakey, nutty, chocolate-drippedy variety is for me.

My preference may be tied to happy childhood memories of the post-church dozen. The sight of that pink and orange box, and my dad remarking "they have the best coffee" every Sunday obviously made an impression on me.

My family is nothing if not consistent. One year my parents came to Greensboro for Thanksgiving. I made reservations at one of the nice hotels for a 12:30pm dinner seating. Alas, First Presbyterian let out of Thanksgiving Day services around 11:00am. With some time to kill, the car seemed to steer itself to High Point Road... there was a pink and orange sign... we were starving... need I say more? We tried eight things on the Dunkin' Donuts menu and wasted $24.95 each on a buffet we could barely touch.

Dunkin' Donuts have been run out of town by the Jolly Green Giant from Winston-Salem. But, at least one company is seeking franchisees to gain a toehold in Charlotte.

North Carolina, time to make the donuts!

.

No comments: